Monday, April 23, 2007

I've Been To Bali! Er, Ecuador

So when last I wrote, I was grumpy and waterlogged in Quito. Quito will never be invited to any parties of mine, I've decided, since it lacks direction and a clear centre and its buildings are always in the completely opposite direction to that indicated in the tiny little Lonely Planet Map. The only thing in Quito's favour is its plethora of second hand book shops and its well educated checkout boys at its supermarkets who can attempt to flirt in two (2) languages whilst simultaneously scanning items. Not good enough though, Quito, I'm afraid. You and your high altitudes and dreary weather can get stuffed.

Deciding to condemn any and all of Ecuador's remaining Mountain Charms to the bin, I set off for the coast for a week of doing nothing at all except working on my tan and eating fish. I accomplished these lofty ambitions admirably and although I suspect that great weather and cheap food may make one a less intelligent introspective and morose person, being able to ponder which cheesy mills and boones-esque adjective for "tanned" I would choose to describe myself each day (would it be caramel? toffee? honey? and if honey, which type? blue gum? So many questions) certainly made the time pass pleasantly. As did unexpectedly meeting a fellow Melbourne girl named Carly who understood the need to dress well even while backpacking and has been a total convert to the Vigilant Society Against Forbidden Knitwear. So Pacific coast of Ecuador with your sleepy seaside towns and persistantly chatty locals (how many times can a girl say "no se!" before one gives up? Approximately 30minutes), I salute you!

Currently I am in Peru, home of all the most forbidden of Forbidden Knitwear and a country that seems determined to make sure I do not sleep whilst I am here. Since homicide seems frowned upon I will attempt to leave after not contracting malaria on the edge of The Jungle and not buying anything with an alpaca on it.

Wish me luck

2 comments:

Farmer Fifi said...

Darling!

You will be happy/disturbed to hear that I have moved to the country, and now own my very own alpaca! It came with the property. I'm not about to shear it, but still it spits at me, the beast.

I think you're garden blossom honey.

Love ya.

xoxox So.com.au

I'm not Craig said...

Good luck with fighting the purchasing of alpaca related products in Peru. Rumour has it that this is only slightly less difficult than trying to fight the moonlight in the manner of Leanne Rimes